The Most Popular Photos, Videos, and Stories of 2009
Every year we take a long, reflective look at what flourished and what withered on SurferMag.com in hopes of better serving our viewership. As we’ve come to find out, one thing we can expect from our viewers is consistency.
You want sex. You want freakishly huge waves. And more disturbingly, you want shark attacks. While we try to avoid unnecessary abuse of the latter out of respect for unnecessary fear-mongering and the universe’s inevitably karmic tendencies, there were were an abundance in emotionally-charged superlatives this year, and here’s what you decided you liked most.
Have a look and it’s easy to understand why.
Top 10 Photo Galleries of 2009
Classic images from SURFER’S most well-respected lensman.
The Pacific Northwest is home to plenty of mean inhabitants…including the Yeti.
This year’s version of last year’s idea. Two things that never fail to turn heads on the North Shore…
With the shift in seasons came the shift in swell directions…and a welcome one at that.
The life of a surfer isn’t all sunshine and sand. Welcome to the world of frostbite and wind burn.
Classic images from the year – from the world’s best surf photographers.
This was among the most hyped swells in a long time. Good thing the swell finally showed up.
Every surfer dude’s dream come true: a day with Kauaian bombshell Alana Blanchard.
Clark Little’s shore break photography made big news this year on Good Morning America. The surf world took notice too.
This gallery made the top five of the 2008 list in just five days. As a result, it was a tough one to beat after racking up a year’s worth of page views. Nearly two million to be exact.
Check out the most viewed photo galleries of 2008.
Top 10 Stories of 2009
10. First-Ever Presidential Shaka Thrown by Joel Patterson
9. The SURFER Profile: Darryl Flea Virostko by Kimball Taylor as featured in SURFER’S April 2009 Issue
8. The SURFER Interview: Andy Irons by Joel Patterson as featured in SURFER’S March 2009 Issue
7. Jamie O’Brien Rewrites the Book on Surf Cinematography by Jake Howard
6. Surfer Survives Battle with Great White Shark by Taylor Soppe
5. Great White Shark Sighting at Malibu by Ben Marcus
4. Nikii Makes a Bikini; Lands a Job by Zach Weisberg
3. The Ten Best Surf Towns in America as featured in SURFER’S July 2009 Issue
2. Sterling Spencer Gets Shacked on His Cell Phone by Zach Weisberg
1. April Fool’s: 100-foot Wave Surfed in Chile by Jason “Big Wave” Vasquez
Top 10 Videos of 2009
Brian Conley gives you enough inside the tube vision for a lifetime.
A collection of rides that will leave you in disbelief.
The Red Bull surf crew heads to the Mentawai’s and Jordy Smith pulls off a freakish air.
Little, tiny surfboards can be very fun.
The REEF Team enjoys Costa Rican perfection.
During the Billabong Pro Tahiti, Kelly Slater and Manoa Drollet snuck off to find their own piece of paradise.
Nikii Swiss gets industrious and makes a bikini using SURFER Magazines.
Not only is she gorgeous…she can surf better than you.
If you didn’t know who Matt Meola was before you saw this…you do now.
We’re sorry. We didn’t think you’d really fall for it.