Every year we take a long, reflective look at what flourished and what withered on SurferMag.com in hopes of better serving our viewership. As we’ve come to find out, one thing we can expect from our viewers is consistency.
You want sex. You want freakishly huge waves. And more disturbingly, you want shark attacks. While we try to avoid unnecessary abuse of the latter out of respect for unnecessary fear-mongering and the universe’s inevitably karmic tendencies, there were were an abundance in emotionally-charged superlatives this year, and here’s what you decided you liked most.
Have a look and it’s easy to understand why.
Top 10 Stories of 2009
10. First-Ever Presidential Shaka Thrown by Joel Patterson
9. The SURFER Profile: Darryl Flea Virostko by Kimball Taylor as featured in SURFER’S April 2009 Issue
8. The SURFER Interview: Andy Irons by Joel Patterson as featured in SURFER’S March 2009 Issue
7. Jamie O’Brien Rewrites the Book on Surf Cinematography by Jake Howard
6. Surfer Survives Battle with Great White Shark by Taylor Soppe
5. Great White Shark Sighting at Malibu by Ben Marcus
4. Nikii Makes a Bikini; Lands a Job by Zach Weisberg
3. The Ten Best Surf Towns in America as featured in SURFER’S July 2009 Issue
2. Sterling Spencer Gets Shacked on His Cell Phone by Zach Weisberg
1. April Fool’s: 100-foot Wave Surfed in Chile by Jason “Big Wave” Vasquez