15th Annual WindanSea Boardfishing
July 21, 2002 is the date for that crazy WindanSea Boardfishing Tournament. Wow! Fifteen years, and some of you have been there from day one.
I have been slammed as usual with making a living, so as usuaI am calling on all of you “Vets” to help get the word out and the Sponsors in.
This special event is coming up on its fifteenth year, and with the help of the Website, it is getting attention from all over the World. What started out as a handful of hard-core Watermen looking for an excuse for a party, has evolved into one of the most “looked forward to” family events of the summer for hundreds of people. I have people calling me in the spring, to find out the date, so they can plan their summer. We now even have guys from the early years showing up with the second generation Boardfishermen (sons and daughters), to continue the Stoke into the Millennium.
Even though the event has grown to over 100 participants, the vibe is still the same as it was in the early years. Boardfishing is usually a solitary sport, shared by only a few, and this is the one time a year when stories and tactics can be shared amongst the participants and enthusiasts who have made the sport what it is today.
Here is the agenda for the day:
- The location is at the foot of Westbourne Street, La Jolla, California (just north of WindanSea Shack).
- Fishermen will be able to hit the water at 5:00 AM and must weigh in by 12:00 noon.
- 12:00 noon to 2:00 PM will be the BBQ.
- All fish will be cleaned and cooked on the spot after they are weighed and recorded. Ballast Point will flow the Kegs of their killer brews such as their Yellowtail Pail Ale
- (this beer goes fast, so BYO if you want more)
- 2:00 PM will be the ever-popular group photo shot.
- 2:30 PM will be the highlight of the Tourney, and a mini event in itself. The “Dash for Cash” with a “shotgun” start. The first contestant to get a legal live sport fish to the beach gets $500.00 dollars.
As usual, we will have several thousand dollars worth of prizes and goodies to give away to the category winners.